What is the process for medical withdrawal?
You must first contact the College of Social Science Office of Student Affairs and Services. Withdrawal from the university due to medical or any other reason should begin by consulting the director of your student affairs office. In the College of Social Science, simply call (517) 355-6676 or stop by 201 Berkey Hall.

What majors are available in the College of Social Science?
The College of Social Science is home to all academic disciplines that focus on the social, behavioral and economic sciences. You will find everything here from Psychology and Economics to Criminal Justice, Political Science and Human Development and Family Studies.  For a complete list and description of majors, visit socialscience.msu.edu.

What types of study abroad and study away programs does the College of Social Science have?
The College of Social Science offers a wide range of opportunities to study internationally as well as through domestic programs in areas around the United States.  International and domestic internship opportunities are available to students within Study Abroad and Study Away Programs.   Faculty-Led and Co-Sponsored Study Abroad programs are held in numerous locations around the world.  Study Away Programs in Washington DC, Hawaii and New Orleans among other locations provide students a wide array of domestic options.  For opportunities in leadership and service the College of Social Science offers SSC 199 for students to engage in either on campus or through a Study Away Program.  Visit the college's Experiential Learning pages for details or call the Office of Study Abroad, Study Away, International & Domestic Internships at 517-432-4541.

How do I change my major?
A meeting with the major Academic Advisor is required to change your major into the College of Social Science. There is a webpage describing the process for the College of Social Science under the Student tab -visit Major Change.    For any questions about major changes, call the College of Social Science Office of Student Affairs and Services at (517) 355-6676 or stop by 201 Berkey Hall. The same is true if you need assistance with enrollment corrections, permission to enroll in more than 20 credits during a semester, to drop a course after the middle of the semester (called a Dean’s Drop), withdraw from the University, appeal an academic action such as recess or dismissal, have general questions or need other actions taken that require college-level approval. Visit socialscience.msu.edu for more information.

What scholarships can I apply to through the College of Social Science?
There are a number of scholarships offered by the College of Social Science for which current students majoring in a social science discipline may apply.  From the Andrew Undergraduate Fellowship which focuses on undergraduates researching with a faculty mentor to the Charles Hayden Kelly Scholarship which helps students who may have financial need but may not normally qualify for financial aid, the College of Social Science has several scholarships for students to consider.  Visit socialscience.msu.edu/scholarships for more information.

What do I do if I have a death in the family?
MSU has a grief absence policy - Grief Absence.  This is for a short term request usually no more than 1 week.  The Grief Absence online form is required to request time away.  The form is available in StuInfo  Supporting documentation is required.  Obituary notices and prayer cards cannot be accepted.  The funeral home can provide a certified letter as supporting documentation.  Each funeral home has a different name for this letter.  The letter describes who the service was for, date of death, relationship to deceased, visitation, and funeral services date. They can fax it to 517-432-0928, or it can be delivered to 201 Berkey Hall.  The full policy is located in Academic Programs - Grief Absence Policy