An international internship or a study abroad experience can be one of the most rewarding and valuable investments students can make in preparation for their careers. In addition, an international dimension to your resume or graduate school application can enhance your marketability in a very competitive arena.
An international experience:
- challenges students to expand their horizons
- helps students grow personally
- they become more self-confident, outgoing, independent, and open minded
- transforms students into world travelers—if their careers call for international travel, they will be well prepared
- improves students' understanding of global issues
- adds depth to future classroom experience
- helps students grow professionally by developing interpersonal skills and skills especially relevant to their career goals
- increases students' cultural awareness
Students are strongly encouraged to obtain international experience before they graduate. Many international internship programs and study abroad programs fill quickly and many of these programs are highly competitive, so it is important to plan early.
For more about international internship opportunities, visit:
- MSU International Academic Internships
- College of Social Science Study Abroad Web site
- Idealist (a project of Action Without Borders, a nonprofit career center on the web with hundreds of job and internship listings and thousands of volunteer opportunities around the world)
- MSU Global Access - a portal to information about the world that contains a database of websites and other resources selected by experts at MSU