To be eligible to earn credit through the College of Social Science Internship Program, SSC 493, you must:
- Be a Michigan State University undergraduate student
- Have at least a 2.5 GPA (MSU overall).
Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee that a student will receive credit for an internship. The screening process includes an interview with the internship coordinator.
Students may earn internship credit each semester through SSC 493. [Please note: SSC 493 is a full-semester course. Students may not earn internship credit through the College of Social Science Internship Program for the short summer sessions A or B.]
Students may earn 3 to 12 credits for an internship. Three hours of work per week for each credit earned is required. A student may earn a maximum of 12 credits in all enrollments for this course. A minimum of 3 credits is required for each enrollment.
Students may earn credit for local, state and nationwide internships within the private and public sectors; internships may be unpaid or paid.
Check with your academic advisor to see how internship credits through SSC 493 may apply to your degree.
SSC 493 is graded on a Pass/No Pass system. P/N-graded courses do not influence your GPA, which is based on numerically graded courses only.
Grades are based on:
- Assignments as specified in the semester syllabus
- Fulfillment of an approved training agreement (provides details of the internship: field supervisor, time commitment, and field responsibilities)
- Agency evaluations
The course is a restricted course and requires an override by the internship coordinator prior to enrollment.
To receive a course override, students must:
- Meet eligibility criteria
- Meet with the internship coordinator for an intake interview
- Complete the necessary paperwork obtained during the intake interview
- Application form
- Agreement of Internship Requirements and Responsibilities
- Training Agreement (provides details of the internship: field supervisor, time commitment, and field responsibilities)
- Receive final approval of the placement by the internship coordinator
If you meet eligibility criteria and would like to earn credit for an internship, please call (517) 353-9291 or e-mail to schedule an intake interview with our Internship Coordinator, Erin Smith. Walk-In appointments are taken when possible.
To prepare for your appointment:
- Bring an up-to-date resume.
- Bring a description of the internship you have found or be able to clearly articulate your internship interests.
Note: The earlier you schedule your appointment, the greater your chances of earning SSC 493 credit!