Advising & Affairs

The College of Social Science Office of Student Affairs and Services is a central source of information and assistance for students in all departments and schools in the College. Academic Specialists are available to answer questions concerning College and University programs such as study abroad and internship preparation, to interpret college requirements, to explain academic policies and procedures, and to refer students to appropriate resources across the University. Additionally, students experiencing difficulties are encouraged to come to this office for assistance.

The Office of Student Affairs is here to help! Our knowledgeable staff can assist with academic matters, point to resources, and answer questions. We are located in 201 Berkey Hall.

Some areas we can help with:

  • Major changes
  • Enrollment corrections
  • Enrollment waivers
  • Dean’s Drop (dropping a course after the middle of a semester)
  • Withdrawals (meaning you want to drop everything in which you are enrolled for the current semester)
  • Medical Withdrawals
  • Appeal academic actions such as recess or dismissal
  • Other actions requiring college-level approval (such as permission to enroll in more than 20 credits during a semester or requesting permission to exceed 20 credits of repeat)
  • General questions

Major changes into the College of Social Science require a meeting with the Academic Advisor for that major.  This meeting is to review the major, completed coursework and remaining requirements.  

Please use the Online Appointment system to schedule a meeting. Most major changes are completed within 48 hours after the advisor meeting.

NOTE: During the time period between semesters, students can initiate a major change. A Dean's Hold will be placed until the student meets with the academic advisor.

Additional Information

Office of Student Affairs and Services

College of Social Science
Phone: 517-355-6676
Fax: 517-432-0928

For questions on Study Away & Study Abroad Programs, visit:




For questions on advising, major changes, enrollment corrections and other academic issues, contact:

Ken Horne
Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Services

Samantha Hughes
Assistant Director of Student Affairs and Services

Brian Egan
Assistant Director of Student Affairs and Services

Assistant Director of Student Affairs and Services



Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies: 

Emily Durbin
(517) 355-6673




Students who are placed on probation or final probation are expected to participate in the Success Training for Academic Recovery (STAR) Program. The program is designed to provide students with a college contact and support network to help as they progress through the semester in which they are on probation. The student is expected to attend workshops, meet with a success coach, and connect with faculty and other resources throughout the semester.

Contact your advisor or the College of Social Science Office of Student Affairs for more information.

Academic Advisors in the College of Social Science

For more information, contact:

Office of Student Affairs and Services
College of Social Science
Phone: 517-355-6676
Fax: 517-432-0928

To make an appointment, please visit:

Please be aware that advisors only open their appointments 2-3 weeks in advance.